Chemical name – Modafinil
Brand name – Modvigil
What is Modvigil?
Modvigil is the brand name version of the popular medication Modafinil. It is a eugeroic medication by nature. Eugeroics are psychostimulants used in the treatment of psychiatric disorders without any abuse potential associated with their use. Modvigil is a prescription medication that has been FDA approved for medical use. Additionally, it is a Schedule IV medication with strict supervision regarding its use and possession.
Modvigil is available as Modalert which is a brand of Modafinil.
What is the use of Modvigil?
It is primarily used for the treatment of:
- Narcolepsy is a neurological problem caused by the deficiency of the orexin hormone, resulting in excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Workers on the night shift are unable to adjust their circadian rhythms to their work schedules.
- As an adjunct treatment option for sleep apnea—a problem in which the throat muscles are voluntarily closed during sleep.
Off-label, it is used in the treatment of ADHD and as a medication for people undergoing withdrawal therapy.
What is the mechanism of action of Modvigil?
After ingestion, the nootropic breaks down and its molecules attach themselves to the dopamine reuptake pump in the central nervous system. As a part of its mechanism of action, Modvigil inhibits the reuptake of dopamine, serotonin, and histamine, which results in an increase in their extracellular levels. This, in turn, offers awakeness, alertness, increased focus, and other cognitive advantages.
What are the doses and strengths of Modvigil?
It is available in strengths of 100mg and 200mg, of which 200mg is the most commonly used. The doses of the nootropic medicine for different conditions are as follows.
- For narcolepsy patients,200mg of the medication is advised daily or as a single dose in the morning.
- For patients with SWSD,200 mg of the medication is advised daily an hour before starting the night shift.
- For sleep apnea patients, the dose is further modified as per the requirements of the patient.
How long does Modvigil take to kick in?
The nootropic begins to work in less than 30 minutes.
How long does it stay in the system?
The Modafinil-fortified drug stays in your system for about 12 to 14 hours.
What are the side effects of Modvigil?
Common side effects: Nausea, vomiting, headache, and diarrhea; back pain; dry mouth and skin; indigestion; heartburn; flushing or redness of the skin; difficulty passing stools; sores ulcers, or dry spots on the lips; muscle stiffness; and a decrease in appetite.
Rare side effects: Difficulty urinating; increased anxiety, depression, hallucinations, confusion, shortness of breath, extreme mood swings, uncontrolled movement of face, mouth, and tongue.
What are the precautions to be followed?
- If you have experienced allergic reactions to the nootropic drug in the past, you must inform your doctor about the same.
- Pregnant women must avoid taking this nootropic medicine as it affects the unborn child.
- It is not clear whether the medicine gets excreted in breast milk. Therefore, breastfeeding women must consult with their doctor before taking the medicine.
- Before taking Modvigil 200mg, inform your doctor if you have health issues such as high blood pressure, kidney disorders, liver problems, heart diseases, etc.
- The nootropic medicine causes dizziness, and thus one should not drive a vehicle post-taking it.
Modvigil drug interactions
It interacts with a few medicines. To prevent ill effects caused by drug interactions, one should inform their doctor about any medicines they are taking. Street medicines such as methamphetamine may interfere with the working of Modvigil 200mg.
Oral contraceptives and Modvigil
Smart drugs have a tendency to affect the effectiveness of oral birth control pills, thus increasing your risk of getting pregnant. One must seek a non-oral form of birth control method while on the nootropic drug.
Caffeine and Modvigil
Taking caffeinated beverages and supplements might increase your risk of developing severe side effects with the smart drug. One should limit the consumption of caffeine while consuming the smart drug.
There are no reviews yet.